Welcome to First Baptist Church's Music Ministry
The Music Ministry of Greenwood First Baptist Church is a dynamic, inclusive ministry that empowers people in worship, ministers to the congregation, helps participants grow musically and spiritually, and provides opportunities for service. The worship at Greenwood First Baptist Church is liturgical and the worship music is diverse and traditional. GFBC has a history of great worship music in the classical, liturgical tradition. Our worship is enhanced by the 47 rank Schantz Pipe Organ, played by Dr. Ron Davis, Professor of Organ and Church Music at Presbyterian College in Clinton, South Carolina.
If you would like additional information concerning the Music Ministry at Greenwood First Baptist or to participate in one of the choirs, please contact David Corbitt.
There are active musical groups for all ages: (Click here for a location map of the church.)
- Music Makers Choir is for children who are age four through first grade. The Music Maker Choir rehearses on Wednesday night during the school year at 5:15 pm in Room 117.
- Young Musicians Choir is for children in the second through fifth grade. The Young Musicians Choir rehearses on Wednesday night during the school year at 5:15 pm in the Room 116.
- The Voices of Grace Youth Choir is for youth grades six through twelve. The youth sing contemporary and traditional music, spirituals, and classical music. The choir sings in worship and participates in the "Festival by the Sea" at Myrtle Beach, SC each year. The choir also participates in mission trips and national and international festivals in the summer. The Voices of Grace Youth Choir rehearses on Wednesday evening during the school year at 7:15 pm in Room 103.
- Chancel Choir: Adults 18 years and Older (Service Choir for Sunday Morning Worship). The Chancel Choir rehearses on Wednesday night at 6:30 pm in the Choir Suite (Room 100).
There are several ensembles for musical expression, praise, and enjoyment. These groups sing and praise on a regular basis. For more information about these following groups please contact David Corbitt.
- The Grace Street Singers is an adult group that sings mainly contemporary and gospel music. The choir rehearses on Wednesday night at 8:00 pm in the Choir Suite (Room 100).
- The "Churchestra" is an instrumental ensemble comprised of youth, adults, and Lander University students (who are provided scholarships by the Church.) If interested in playing in the “Churchestra,” please contact David Corbitt.
- The Jean O. Wood Memorial Handbell Choir is the college and adult handbell choir. The choir rehearses on Wednesday night at 5:15 pm in the Handbell Room (Room 101). If interested in playing in the "Jean O. Wood Memorial Handbell Choir," please contact David Corbitt.