Florence County, South Carolina is a proven location for world-class business and industry. South Carolina's pro-business climate encourages new business development and the expansion of existing operations. In Florence County alone, new and expanding business and industry have invested more than $1.1 billion since 1997, creating over 7,500 new jobs.
Florence's Largest Employers:
Some Major Expansion Announcements Include:
- Monster Worldwide (MNST) announced in June 2008 plans for a $28 million dollar customer care facility that will employ 350 initially.
- HJ Heinz (HNZ) announced plans in June 2008 for a new 225,000 square foot food processing facility that will employ 350. The $105 million capital investment represents the third largest initial investment in the history of Florence County. The company plans to be operational in the fall of 2009.
- Roche Carolina Inc. (RCI) announced in April 2007 an expansion of its Florence pharmaceutical manufacturing facility. The $60 million investment will involve the construction of a new multi-purpose production unit in an existing manufacturing building. The expansion will help enable Roche to meet production needs for current and future life-saving medications. As a result of this investment, 25 to 30 new positions are expected to be created at the facility.
- Johnson Controls (NYSE: JCI), a global leader in automotive interior experience, building efficiency and power solutions, announced in September, 2006 that they had selected Florence County as the site of a new power solutions facility. The $54 million, 200 employee distribution center will assemble and distribute batteries for the automotive market, including both original equipment (OE) and aftermarket products.
- Leading electronic retailer QVC, Inc., a $6 billion company based in West Chester, PA, announced in December 2005 that they will invest $75 million to open a new distribution center on a 265 acre parcel of land in Florence. QVC expects to create 900 jobs over five years in their 1.4 million square foot distribution facility.
- Institution Food House, Inc. ("IFH") announced in October 2004 that they would be building a new 330,000 sq. ft. high tech warehouse in the Touchstone Industrial Park. IFH is the largest independent food service distributor in the Southeast. IFH’s new warehouse distribution facility will add more than 70 new employees. The building will be a state-of-the-art warehouse utilizing voice selection item locaters and complete scan control of all inventory. The facility will also have a 200 seat auditorium with closed circuit TV screens for food preparation classes. The on-camera demonstrations will be broadcast from an adjoining commercial kitchen.