A Year of Prayer and Renewal in Celebration of our 125th Anniversary

In 2007, Holy Trinity marks our 125th year as a parish.  We are thankful for the generosity and vision of those countless men and women who have built up this "House of God and Community of Faith" throughout the years.

 
History of Holy Trinity Parish

On September 1, 1882, Bishop William McClosky established a new parish for the benefit of the farming community of St. Matthews.  Until that time, Catholics went into the city for Mass and other liturgical services.  This new parish, named Holy Trinity, was the first Catholic Church in eastern Jefferson County, and the twentieth in the area.

Since the dedication of the first church, on the 17th of December 1882, there have been three subsequent churches.  The first two churches were built on what is today Trinity High School.  After outgrowing the first church, a second church was built.  This church was heavily damaged by fire in 1937 but was renovated and used until 1953.  At that time, the parish donated its property to the archdiocese for the purpose of establishing the first Archdiocesan Catholic high school, and obtained approximately sixty acres on its current site.  Today, our parish property consists of nearly fifteen acres.  After outgrowing the first church on Cherrywood Road, work began on our current church in October 1968 and was dedicated on November 2, 1969, by Archbishop Thomas J. McDounough.