Through Out of Our Bounty we serve the poor of the world out of the great abundance that God has given to us. This ministry began in 2005 in response to an urgent appeal by Rev. Mel West for shoes for the children of Nicaragua exposed to parasitic worms through cuts on their bare feet. Within two weeks the Salem community had contributed over 400 pairs of shoes, and Out of Our Bounty was born!
How does it work?
The ministry has grown to serve not only the people of Nicaragua, but also those in our local community and state. New and used items are brought to the Out of Our Bounty room on the lower level of the church in Room 101. From there they are screened, sorted, and delivered to agencies such as Kingdom House, Metro Ministry, Rainbow Network and Employee Connection.
Why is it so important?
Out of Our Bounty gives us the opportunity to be responsible and generous stewards of our God given gifts and to provide critical assistance to the most needy and under served populations.
How can I help?
Donate new and gently used items such as:
· sheets and towels
· blankets, pillows, comforters
· clothing for babies, children and adults
· shoes and socks
· baby layettes, cloth diapers
· business, interview attire
· warm jackets, sweaters, hats & gloves
· prom dresses
· children’s toys (no battery operated toys please)
· soccer or tennis balls and frisbees
· dolls and jump ropes
· baseball gloves
· notebooks for school, pens, pencils
· crayons and coloring books
· sewing machines and notions
· yarn, fabric, needles, thread
· deodorant, shampoo, toothpaste
· rubbing alcohol, antiseptic creams
· rolls of bandages
· sterile gloves
· crutches, walkers, wheelchairs
· teen magazines
· children’s books
Items We Don’t Accept
· battery operated toys