The South Salem Church was founded in 1752 by the Rev. Solomon Mead, and for the past 250 years, the white church has been a welcoming beacon atop a hill overlooking the hamlet of South Salem, surrounded by ancient trees and a historic burial ground—the final resting place for twenty-seven Revolutionary War soldiers.
The Presbyterian church of South Salem occupies a commanding position near the centre of the village. It is a handsome wooden structure, sixty feet by forty, surmounted with a tower and spire. The latter serves as a beacon to the surrounding country. The first notice of this church occurs on the 19th of May, 1752, “when a convention of ministers assembled at Salem, upon the desire of the people.” [*]
The current church building was built in 1975 on the site of a 1973 fire that destroyed the previous structure, which was first erected in 1826 and rebuilt in 1872. Though evoking its rural New England heritage, the current church is a contemporary structure designed to meet its community-wide role.
In addition to the Presbyterian congregation that meets for worship and Sunday School every Sunday morning at 10, three Masses are held each weekend for Catholic churchgoers from St. Mary's in Katonah, and for eight years the church was also home to the Jewish Family Congregation until the JFC was able to acquire its own building in 1994.
Many community-wide meetings and interfaith services are held throughout the year. The sanctuary, with its beautiful pipe organ is the site of many concerts. Other community activities hosted at the church include the Lewisboro Boy Scout Troop 1 and CCD Catholic youth education. The congregation's own activities keep the building filled most other times.
* The-red-thread.net, a geneology site, has some historical records on its South Salem Church page, including early baptisms, marriages, and deaths.
* National righteousness and national sin : the substance of a discourse delivered in the Presbyterian Church of South Salem, Westchester Co., N.Y., November 20, 1856 (PDF, 33 pages) - scanned from an original in the University of Michigan Library (also available in the Columbia University Libraries). via Google Book Search
[*]: A History of the County of Westchester, from Its First Settlement to the Present Time [pp 265] By Robert Bolton - 1848