Visit our Adult Library!
Our adult library contains more than 9,000 volumes and houses a diverse and comprehensive collection of books. Whether you are looking for resources on faith issues, or planning to teach a Sunday School lesson, or preparing a devotional message...or just looking for some inspirational reading...the library has something for YOU! And, if beautiful art books, gardening and nature books, small group study books, or Christian fiction books are what you are looking for...the library has something for YOU too!
Here are just a few examples of the resources you can find in the library:
- Books for your own spiritual growth and faith development, Devotional resources, and books on prayer and meditation
- An excellent collection of Bible translations, Bible commentaries and dictionaries, and other Bible resources
- Teaching resources...find supplemental resources to use with your Sunday school lesson planning
- Books about family, aging, caregiving, and grief
- Resources about The United Methodist Church...who we are, and what we believe
- United Methodist Women Reading Program books
- Resources about John Wesley, a hymnal collection, a prayer collection, a history collection
- Leisure reading, beautiful art books, a variety of Christian fiction
- Small group study resources
- Books about world religions and church history
- Prior year West Market Street UMC Sunday bulletins from 1963 forward, and MarketPlace issues from 1991 forward.
- And more!
Bible Room Collection
Our library has an extensive collection of Bibles (in a variety of translations), Bible commentaries, Bible dictionaries, and other Bible resources.
More about our Bible Room Collection...
United Methodist Women Reading Program
United Methodist Women Reading Program books are housed in the Adult Library. Visit the special section of shelves. We have over 150 volumes, with lots of books in each of the four reading categories: Spiritual Growth, Education for Mission, Nurturing for Community, and Social Action. We also have a number of large-print books.
These books are available to anyone for check-out...they have been described by at least one pastor as "some of the very best books in the library."
More about the United Methodist Women Reading Program...
Other Special Collections:
- The Margaret Weldon Prayer Library
- The Hymnal Collection of Gene and Fred Jones
- The R. Harold Hipps Drama Library
- The Steve Millikin History Collection
- Interpreter - A ministry magazine for United Methodists
- Response: The Voice of Women in Mission - The official magazine of United Methodist Women. Monthly Bible studies, stories of faith, and mission opportunities are just part of what you'll find in Response. This magazine will touch your heart, stir your soul, and challenge your mind.
- Weavings - A journal of the Christian spiritual life that explores the many ways in which God's life and human lives are woven together in the world.
- Alive Now - This innovative devotional magazine explores contemporary issues from a faith perspective, encourages spiritual growth, and will revitalize your faith. Each thematic issue is divided into sections that include inspirational stories, meditations, poems, prayers, quotes, photography, scripture readings, and reflection questions.
- Guideposts - True stories of hope and inspiration
Make a Gift to the LIbrary Fund
Funding to purchase new books for the library is acquired through special gifts, honorariums, and memorials. The gifts of many people through the years have given pleasure and provided learning tools to patrons of the library. Persons have given funds for individual books, and some have given funds for a complete series of commentaries. Every gift is appreciated!
If you would like to make a gift, you may do that in a variety of ways. Checks should be made payable to West Market Street United Methodist Church, and marked "For Adult Library Memorial Fund." Contact the church office for information about other methods of making a gift.
Visit the library! Browse...enjoy...READ!